If you’re planning to visit New York City for a few days this spring, you won’t have a hard time finding something to do – in fact, you may even have trouble narrowing down your list. To help you sort through the possibilities, here are a few favorite ideas for kid-friendly springtime activities.
New York is a beautiful city to travel to in any season, but there are certain activities you can look forward to only during the warmer months. These are a few options you can expect to find each spring:
- Central Park Zoo – The Central Park Zoo is an absolute favorite among native New Yorkers and visitors alike. Starting in April, children can come and view animals from around the world in the midst of one of New York City’s most iconic landmarks.
- Macy’s Flower Show – Macy’s annual Flower Show takes place from March 24th through April 7th at their flagship location in Herald Square. You and your kids will love looking at the amazing floral creations and bouquets on display in the windows.
- Victorian Gardens – Also in Central Park is Victorian Gardens. Opening Memorial Day weekend, this is an amusement park with old-fashioned style rides that will take you right back to your childhood.
Best for Warm Days
While you can’t predict the weather, enjoy it while it’s nice. Take advantage of warm, sunny days when you have them with these activities:
- Water Playgrounds – If the weather’s nice and warm, try out one of New York City’s many parks with water features. Your kids can play and climb with the added bonus of interactive water misters and streams to keep them cool. Ancient Playground on the Upper East Side and Heckscher Playground in Central Park are two to try.
- Staten Island Ferry – Your kids will love riding the ferry between Manhattan and Staten Island, and it won’t cost you a thing. The ferry ride is scenic with great views of Manhattan’s skyscrapers and bridges, and it is a great way to spend your time outdoors.
If you’re planning your weekend in advance, there’s no way to be sure you won’t get rained out. Just in case the weather’s less than ideal, these are some fun rainy day alternatives that will keep your kids happy and dry:
- Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum – Madame Tussaud’s is not only a great alternative when there’s inclement weather, but it is a must-do for kids of all ages. Visitors love the life-like wax statues of the most popular politicians, musicians, and pop stars. Make sure you bring a camera – you’ll need one to pose with all your favorite celebs.
- Liberty Science Center – This science museum right across the Hudson has exhibits for children of all ages and will let your kids be hands-on with their learning. It even has an IMAX theater with a variety of films. Your kids will have fun at this rainy day option without even realizing that it’s educational.
While you may not have time for all of them, these are some great, enjoyable spring activities for families visiting New York City. Make sure to think through all the details of your trip well in advance. If you’re driving, consider joining a motor club to ensure the safest travel possible. Enjoy these activities, and don’t be afraid to research a few of your own!
Lindsay T. writes about travel on behalf of Allstate Motor Club, which provides roadside assistance and other travel services. Visit Allstate Motor Club for more on travel deals, driving resources and membership information.
For more ideas on family friendly venues in the big apple, check out MommyPoppins.com.
Image courtesy of Susie B. at FreeDigitalPhotos.net.